Calibration of measuring instruments
Metrological calibration testing made by an accredited calibration laboratory includes a system of actions aimed at confirming the compliance of measuring devices with adopted metrological standards. Specialists measure the imprecision, which corresponds to the permissible figures noted in the operational documentation and characteristics of a certain type of measuring instrument.
According to the measuring results of the examination, the following is determined:
- Condition of measuring instruments
- Compliance of measuring devices with the requirements specified in the description
- Validation of measuring devices for operation in the State System for Provision of Uniform Measurement
Verification can be performed on a mandatory or voluntary basis. Regulations prescribe to make a periodic examination of those measuring devices that are:
- Used in the State System for Provision of Uniform Measurement
- Scheduled to be commissioned
- Used after recent repair works
Mandatory extraordinary verification of the measuring instruments by certified calibrators is required in the case of:
- Damage of the verification mark (calibration sticker)
- Re-calibration or commissioning after prolonged storage
- Seal damage
Metrological maintenance of those measuring devices that are not used for the State System for Provision of Uniform Measurement purposes is carried out in the form of calibration testing and voluntary verification. Federal Law No. 102 regulates conducting examination.
LIABILITY FOR VIOLATION OF THE LAW
Improper execution of verification works or non-compliance with the requirements of the law results in an offence. The penalty will be imposed on metrological service staff who conducted the verification.
VERIFICATION EXECUTION FEATURES
Executive authorities conduct metrological supervision. They issue regulations that contain the procedure and conditions for high precision instruments calibration.
Only individual entrepreneurs or companies that have successfully passed calibration accreditation scope for the verification of measuring instruments can carry out the examination. The inspection is carried out in accordance with the scheme and the state authorities approve methodology, which applies to certain types of measuring equipment.
Measuring instrument should be taken for tests together with the appropriate methodology instruction.
In most cases, experts can easily obtain the necessary information about the examination rules of measuring devices. Certificate is issued according to the results of the tests, which conclude the suitability of the measuring device.
WHAT IS NEEDED FOR VERIFICATION?
For a successful verification, the following must be submitted:
- Decommissioned measuring instruments produced in and outside the EACU
- Manual (operating instructions) for the equipment. If the high precision instrument is manufactured outside Russia or the Customs Union, the manual must be translated into Russian
- Technical conditions or standards according to which the production of equipment was carried out
- The manufacture’s prospectus in Russian
- Results of the measurement protocol and verification performed in the state where this measuring device was produced. This document is required for the equipment that was purchased outside of the Russian Federation or the EACU by interstate agreement
TYPES OF POVERKAS
The following types of tests are prescribed by law:
- Primary. Implemented for new Russian (EAC) or non-Russian measuring instruments, equipment after repair and maintenance.
- Periodic or secondary. Required for measurement devices, which are in use or stored. It is executed according to intertemporal intervals.
- Extraordinary. It is carried out before the next periodic inspection
- Inspection. The State Metrology Service is in the operation to verify the correct use if the measuring instrument.
- Complex. It includes an examination of the measurement device characteristics as a whole.
- Element. The characteristics of the measuring instrument parts are examined.
- Sampling. Groups of measuring instruments selected randomly are checked.
- Expert. It is required when there are discrepancies over serviceability and quality assurance of the measurement equipment.